Friday, September 28, 2007

Steve Jobs to lower pricing on all Apple products?

I am a big fan of iTunes and the iPod. We use Itunes as an additional way to distribute two of our TV shows to the masses. I am listening to my Ipod at 36,000 feet as I write this blog on my PC enroute to the Fly Fishing Retail Show in Denver where I will present our new AmericanAngler.com and FlyTyer.com filled with rich video edited on Final Cut on a Mac.

Over my career I have used both Apple and PC. My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20, but my first computer beyond games was an Apple IIe. To say I grew up on Apple is an understatement. I, unlike so may others, am thrilled that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has discounted the price of the iPhone. I wonder if this may lead to a more competitive pricing environment for other Apple products? The massive backlash by Apple loyalists to Steve’s recent decision is perplexing at best. It is sort of like the masses that were surprised when the iPhone had initial system and set-up issues. You Apple junkies want all of us to embrace your passions, yet you become distraught when we mention the price point of Mac use at a corporate level. Your commercials laugh at Vista, which my be truer than false, yet each year another OS for Mac comes out and my “Mac folks” line up at my door with their hand out for more cash. When I ask why I hear, “My God boss, the new version of Blah blah only runs on OS Blah, Blah.” So, now your leader, discounts the iPone and he is slapped, chastised and if you could, set in the public square and humiliated as the town loon?

I applaud Jobs for a job well done. At some point you have to realize that the sticker shock of Apple products is making it harder and harder to push through capital expenditure requests for their great products. This is not about little Suzy in her suburban bedroom where her parents dropped three grand on her Mac. As business people we have to fight every budget season to even keep Macs on our budget. Why, because they are so unreal in their pricing.

Steve, Mr. Jobs, take your great products to the next level. Do not be afraid by the stock market reaction to your decision. Do not falter in your ideals that the greatest customer is the one that will not only by your products, but the one that can afford them too.

The views of Ryan Dohrn are 100% personal in nature and do not represent the views of his employer, any other person, company or entity in any way. Any similarly is coincidental in nature.

No comments: