Thursday, July 09, 2009

Keping Web Video Special

I remember the dark basement and the lack of light. The flicker of the machine behind me that would make us jump day or night. The noise of things dropping, the subtle excitement of what was about to come as my grandfather prepared to show us yet another piece of magic from his home movie kingdom. The good old fashioned home movie. No sound, no zooming, no fancy fades. Just an image of my mom running and playing as a child.

Today why do we still like to watch these old movies? They were simple, straight forward and contained something special. These three simple thoughts should be a part of all we do in web video web today as well. My kids are home for the summer. Yeah for them. I have bought them a small video camera and we are creating some magic together on my days off from work. As I have preached for years, you do not have to be a Hollywood director to create compelling online video. Think about what your user wants to see and then deliver. If you do not know... ask. I would add one thing to the three points of simple, straight forward and special.... keep it steady. Tripods are a cheap way to add a higher level of expertise to your video clips. From digital side bars to capturing video at a trade show, make your site something special by adding video today. If my seven year old can do it, so can you. Looking to see some examples, go to http://www.holistichorse.com and see how they are taking video to the next level.

No comments: